Yucky Sushi...
Ugh... Emmy and I had some bad sushi this weekend.
The culprit?... Yuki Sushi located in the Ranch 99 Supermarket Plaza in Rowland Heights.
We were shopping at Ranch 99 to pick up some food for a Memorial Day gathering at our house. I figured that we should grab some dinner while we were there. Now, common sense would tell you that you should stick to eating Chinese food when you are in a shopping plaza that has a majority of Chinese food establishments. It's like not eating Chinese food when you are in Chinatown.
Yet like a delirious mosquito flying towards the fatal blue light from the bug zapper... I headed straight for Yuki Sushi. There was a crude banner in the front that stated: "Under New Management!" and also "Best Sushi prices!" There was also that piece of paper near the entrance with a big letter "A" to try and convince the public that the establishment passed some sort of health standard. I also didn't notice that when I walked in, the hostess & Sushi Chefs were speaking to each other in Korean (a Korean owned Japanese restaurant located in a Chinese Supermarket plaza... what in the world?!)
I ordered a combo meal that had some sashimi, tempura, etc. Things were ok until I began to eat the sashimi. I started eating a piece of salmon and it was quite... chewy. Salmon sashimi is not supposed to be chewy; in fact good salmon sashimi should feel like it melts in your mouth as you are eating it.
Needless to say, we didn't feel too great that night... Emmy getting the worst of it.
So here is what I learned:
1) "Best Sushi prices" could also be translated 'Because the fish is not too fresh'... bad news when you are eating sushi/sashimi.
2) That "A" in the front window means nothing. Heck I'll print a bunch of them up and sell them to Chinese restaurants for $5 each. I'd probably make some good money doing that.
3) Salmon sashimi is not supposed to be chewy!
It will be a few weeks at least before I feel like eating sushi again.


2 Comments:
Yikes! I try to stay away from sushi joints that have women or non-Japanese sushi chefs. It just doesn't taste as good for some reason.
Yeah, I think I'll stick with eating at Taiko for sushi.
Post a Comment
<< Home