Michael Chang...
This Tuesday I met Michael Chang at a leadership conference.
Like many other retired athletes, the former tennis pro is now focusing his time and energy on developing the Chang Family Foundation which was established to "introduce the Good News of Jesus Christ to the world through local community and international programs", according to the foundation website. These programs will primarily focus on sports and Asian outreach events such as organized, competitive sports leagues (they've done volleyball and basketball). Michael is also attending Talbot Theological Seminary for a Masters degree in Theology.
I have to admit, Michael Chang was one of my 'heros' during my teenage years, especially in the late 80's when he won the French Open and various other non-grand slam tournaments. Though he never reached the #1 ranking in the world (I think at the height of his career, he was ranked #2) he made the most of his physical abilities and hung in with the likes of Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras & Jim Courier. There was no part of his game that was dominating, but he played his heart out in every match and clawed his way to the top.
I don't keep up with tennis anymore. It's just not as interesting as it was back in the days when you had John McEnroe and Jimmy Conners who then passed the baton to Ivan Lendl, Stephan Edberg, Mats Wilander & Boris Becker.
The game has changed so much since then. It's a power game now, fueled by the increased strength & conditioning of the athletes, and also from the advanced technology of the equipment being used. Andy Roddick had one of his serves clocked at 150 MPH... what in the world!?
I miss the old days of watching Becker dive for his shots at the net at Wimbeldon, of Edberg's masterful serve & volley. Yes McEnroe was a jerk, but I can watch that match between him & Bjorn Borg over and over again. But I digress...
Anyhow, I guess my encounter with Michael Chang brought me back to memory lane. I had to resist all my urges to ask for an autograph or to make some stupid comment like, "Uh, do you still play tennis Michael?" or "What do you miss most about playing professionally?" Good thing I didn't have a digital camera with me. That would have been disastrous.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home