Tuesday, October 25, 2005

CUBuffs...

I'm proud to be an alumni from the University of California in Irvine & Pepperdine University. Good schools. Great educational experience. Lots of memories.

Unfortunately, these universities have no football team.

I love college football.
'Houston, we have a problem.'

Most people in my shoes would have automatically chosen to pledge their allegiance to the local Division 1-A football powerhouses: UCLA or USC. Hands down they are good schools; they also have legendary athletic programs. Oh yeah, they also happen to be kicking butt in football too. Give credit to where credit is due.

But make no mistake. I am no Bruin or Trojan fan by any means.
Besides, UCLA rejected my admission application in 1990. I guess I wasn't smart enough. Phooey.

No. My college football loyalty has been with the University of Colorado since 1990 (incidently, I wanted to go to CU for college but my parents never heard of it and didn't think it was a good enough school... double phooey). It started when I watched them play for the first time in the Anaheim Pigskin Classic against the University of Tennessee.

The early 90's were good times for the CUBuffs. They had won a National Championship... they had a great coach, Bill McCartney... they had Kordell Stewart & Rashan Salaam (Heisman Trophy Winner) and Michael Westbrook (phenomenal wide receiver who caught the Hail Mary pass against Michigan in '94). Although Stewart & Salaam did not do too well in the NFL, they ran the 'Option' to perfection (I.M.O.). Defensively, CU has consistently produced a legacy of linebackers that have since then moved on to do very, very well in the NFL.

Since 1990, CU has not quite been the same. The powers have shifted in the Big 12 Conference... Texas & Oklahoma (this is a rebuilding year for them) are now the top dogs. Nebraska has faltered ever since coach Tom Osborne retired. This year, CU has lost 2 games so far... against Miami & Texas. Maybe next year will be better for the Buffs. Nevertheless I'll still cheer for them. There's always the end of the season game against Nebraska! Go Buffs!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hechung said...

I never went to a school with a football team either. I don't feel too badly about this since I'm not a huge sports fan. But, I totally missed out on the whole school-sports pride thing.

zot zot zot

10/26/2005 7:39 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Maybe it's good that us UCI alumni didn't have a football team to root for. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would have been to have the word "ZOT" in our fight song? Uh, we do have nice libraries though.

10/26/2005 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home