Monday, January 29, 2007

Back on track...

Hey everyone... it's been a long time since I posted something (the last time I blogged was 9/11/06).

Well, a lot has happened since last year for us. I received a job promotion... in Colorado Springs (the company has a regional office there) and we moved out to Colorado a few weeks ago. So here I am today writing this blog today from my new office in chilly Colorado Springs. There will be much to blog about regarding our transition in the days to come. Things are better today and we've made significant adjustments since we arrived. But let's just say our first day in Colorado was difficult. Here's my recap of starting out in Colorado:
We arrived in Castle Rock, CO on January 14th and signed a 6 month lease for an apartment with the plan to find a new home by Summer time. It was about 4:00 PM and a nice brisk 15 degrees when we arrived. The moving truck was not scheduled to come until the 15th so we had to rough it for a night with just the few items in our car... aerobed, clothes from our suitcase, and some snacks & water.
By 6:00 PM it was dark and the temp dropped to zero degrees... by 9:00 PM it was -6 degrees. We decided to stay in the apartment because the road conditions were pretty icy and we didn't know much about the surrounding area yet. This was not how I pictured our first day in Colorado to be. We had no furniture, no lights (only the kitchen & bathroom lights), no hot food or drinks, and to top that off the water heater was set on 'vacation' mode which meant that we would have lukewarm water at best for the first night (I was really looking forward to a nice hot shower). So we ate some snacks on top of a cardboard box, inflated the aerobed, cranked up the heater, and went to sleep. All I could think about was how much I missed the comforts of our home in SoCal. It was so hard for Emmy. She was doing her best to stay positive for me. It was my gig that brought us out to Colorado, but I was feeling pretty depressed myself. There were many tears that night and a few times I questioned if I made the right decision to move us out to CO. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures that day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you guys made it up ok! Stumbled upon your blog and it's fun to see your new chapter/adventures up in Colorado. You guys will be adjusted in no time and raving about all the fun things you can do in snow!

Angela & Mark

2/04/2007 10:51 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Greetings to the Nowlins!
We miss you & the rest of the family @ GPC. We are slowly adjusting; it gets better everyday. I think we are in for a beautiful week of 50+ degree weather (that's like 80 degrees in CA). We also have found a few Asian markets for when we want to get our fix of Chinese food.

2/05/2007 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home