It's Miller time...
Ok so I admit that I spent a good number of hours watching the Winter Olympics these past few weeks. Actually, I enjoyed watching the background stories of some of the Olympic athletes. The interview that Tom Brokaw had with 2nd Lt. Vernon Baker was especially moving.
Yes there were moments of Olympic Spirit & pageantry of the games... but more than anything else, I was captivated by the drama and athletic debacles in Torino.
Here's my Top 10 List:
10) Watching those Ice Dancers throw each other on the ice... ouch!
9) The family feud between Chad Hedrick & Shauni Davis... let's go USA!!!
8) Curling (aka: Carnival Cruise shuffleboard on ice).
7) That U.S. Snowboarder who gave her gold medal away for showing off and crashing.
6) That Carrot Top snowboarder.
5) Derek Parra's fall from 'Hero to Zero'... c'mon NBC, did we really need to know that his marriage had failed?
4) U.S. Men's Figure Skater, Johnny Weir... WHAT IN THE WORLD?!
3) The women's downhill skiers saying that the course was not challenging enough and then watching them crash on the 'easy' course.
2) Ricky Martin at the closing ceremonies (WHY???!!!)
and at the top of my list...
1) Bode Miller
Wow... this guy is a real piece of work. Everytime he opens his month to say something you are drawn to one single thought: 'How many paint chips did this dude eat as a kid?'
When asked why he purposely did not train hard for these Olympics, here was his response:
"For the last eight to 10 months, I was less prepared than the last Olympics. That left me the opportunity to dig deep, to go down that other route, to make more sacrifices and get back to where I was." Yes... there's a great message there for all the kids of America. Don't study hard for your exams; just dig deep and the right answers will come to you.
Miller ended up 0 for 5 in his race attempts. He was disqualified on one race for straddling a gate... and did not finish another race. His closest chance to wining a medal was a 6th place finish on the Super-G. When asked for a reaction to his results he had this sage comment:
"The same people who recognize I came out with no medals should recognize I could have won three."
Unbelievable.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home