Tastes like Chicken...
Here's another first for me... frogs in the Asian market. To be precise, this was a Vietnamese market that we recently went to. I'm not afraid to try new foods (well, most of the time) at least once, but for some reason this gave me chills when I saw it.
We were in the meat/seafood section of the market and I was checking out the beef, pork, fresh fish, live lobster, crabs, clams... and then I got to the end of the row. There, in a deep white plastic container were live frogs. Now, I've had frog legs before at a Chinese restaurant as well as a French restaurant. It's ok; not much meat, lots of little bones, and it does taste like chicken. But the sight of these live frogs really ruined it for me.
You can see the metal tongs in this picture that you are supposed to use to pick up these very large frogs (about the size of a grapefruit) and place them in a brown paper bag that they made available next to the container. Yeah, they make YOU get your own frog... and I assume that you have to figure out how to put it out of its misery.
I was pretty disgusted until I saw the label on the side of the container... $4.98 / lb.That was humorous. I think I'll go play Frogger on my XBox.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home